Finding a gay-affirming therapist can be a surprisingly difficult and intimidating task. It’s difficult to know whether or not you are going to be working with a counselor who is knowledgeable of sexuality and the issues that can go with this. As a an openly gay therapist in Dallas, I understand many of the stresses that impact relationships in our community, as well as impact our coping with such issues. You don’t want to have to educate your counselor about issues surrounding you that are related to your sexuality. You just want to be able to talk with him about your problems openly, so that he can best help you navigate through problems such as:
- Issues with self-esteem.
- A lack of self-acceptance.
- Problems dealing with family dynamics.
- Dealing with discrimination.
- Coping with community stresses of being middle-aged.
- Making and keeping friends.
If you are a gay or lesbian individual who would like to talk with a professional who understands the issues that you live with, I can help. My personal and professional experience allow me to help you by pointing out things that you may not have noticed before. They also will help to empower you and reclaim control of how you feel.
A gay-affirming therapist will understand:
- Heterosexist perspectives
- Common issues related to gay and lesbian sex lives
- Developmental issues relating to growing up gay
- Sub-communities and cultural dynamics associated with these communities
- Common problems with substance abuse in the community
- Relationship issues surrounding sex addiction in the gay community
- Agism and how it impacts gay men