Finding a gay-affirming therapist can be a surprisingly difficult and intimidating task. It’s difficult to know whether or not you are going to be working with a counselor who is knowledgeable of sexual orientation and gender care and the issues that can go with these things. Are team includes members of the LGBTQ community and allies of the community. We understand the stressors that impact relationships in the community, as well as what impacts coping with such issues.
We will help you navigate through the following problems:
- Issues with self-esteem.
- A lack of self-acceptance.
- Problems dealing with family dynamics.
- Dealing with discrimination.
- Coping with community stresses of being middle-aged.
- Making and keeping friends.
If you are a gay or lesbian individual who would like to talk with a professional who understands the issues that you live with, we can help. Our personal and professional experiences allow us to help by pointing out things that you may not have noticed before.
A gay-affirming therapist will understand:
- Heterosexist perspectives
- Common issues related to gay and lesbian sex lives
- Developmental issues relating to growing up gay
- Sub-communities and cultural dynamics associated with these communities
- Common problems with substance abuse in the community
- Relationship issues surrounding sex addiction in the gay community
- Agism and how it impacts gay men